Learning to write well is a long and difficult road. The HORROR
WRITERS ASSOCIATION, in an effort to help improve the general
quality of fiction across the board, offers the following book,
articles, and writing-related links for writers.
On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association
Copyright 2006 by HWA
ISBN: 1-5829-7420-9 (Writers Digest Books)
Recently updated and revised, available in trade paperback from Writers Digest Books through any major online retailer. A volume of 41 essays on the craft of horror writing, edited by
Mort Castle, with contributions from dozens of well-known HWA
members. An invaluable addition to any writer's library. For the
complete table of contents, click
Articles on Writing, Courtesy of HWA Members
Listed alphabetically by author's last name.
- MORT CASTLE: "Reality and the Waking Nightmare: Setting and Character in Horror Fiction"
- NANCY ETCHEMENDY: "Writers and Depression"
- JG FAHERTY: "The Rise of Horror: YA Readers and Dark Fiction"
- RICHARD LAYMON: "Laymon's Rules of Writing"
- MICHAEL MARANO: "The Long, Hard Odds: Hints on Getting that First Horror Novel Published"
- LISA MORTON: "Pirates! Or, How to Protect Your Intellectual Property on the High Seas of the Internet"
- SCOTT NICHOLSON: "Respect Yourself, Respect Your Stories"
- SCOTT NICHOLSON: "The Virgin In the Church"
(A column series covering the year leading up to the publication of Scott's first novel, The Red Church, following the book from keyboard to slush pile to galleys to bookstore.)
- TOM PICCIRILLI: "Fighting the Good Fight: or Surviving Rejection, Discouragement, and the Fact that your Mother/Spouse/Children Keep Screaming at you to Go Back to College
and Get a Real Job"
- JARED SANDMANN: "Mailbox Blues"
- ROBERT J. SAWYER: "Landing an Agent"
- EDO VAN BELKOM: "So, Who Wants to be a Horror Writer?"
- TIM WAGGONER: "The Horror of it All"
- LAWRENCE WATT-EVANS: "Frequently Asked Questions about Agents"
Links to Writing-Related Sites
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have any questions about HWA.
Write to email@example.com
with comments or suggestions about this website.