Posted by Editor on December 19th, 2012
The Horror Writers Association announces that it has appointed one of our members, Cynthia Peylano as the Assistant Editor of its dedicated Young Adult Horror section (http://www.horror.org/yahorror/). Please join me in extending a warm welcome to Cynthia. We are lucky to have her!
Cynthia Pelayo grew up in a haunted house with superstitious parents in Chicago. She holds a Bachelor of Art in Journalism from Columbia College, a Master of Science in Integrated Marketing Communication from Roosevelt University and a Master of Fine Art in Writing from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Pelayo’s short story collection Loteria was released in 2012. Her YA Horror novel Santa Muerte will be published soon by Post Mortem Press. Pelayo is the Publisher/Gravedigger of Burial Day Books, a boutique horror press. She lives with her husband and two angry shih tzus in the very neighborhood she was raised.
Remember, you can help bring news to our blog by contributing the following:
- If you have a blog to write about YA and YA horror you can submit by following the guidelines at the bottom of this announcement.
- If you have a New Release YA book don’t forget to use the New Releases form.
Remember the audience here is not fellow HWA members – it is librarians, parents, teachers and most of all Young Adult readers.
If you have questions, please contact the Editor at: CatherineScully.Writer@gmail.com
Size limit: 1000 words for article, 200 words for bio
If you’d like to submit an article to the HWA blog, follow these simple guidelines. We reserve the right to reject any submission for any reason.
Only members (of any level) may submit directly HERE. Non-members must send a query first. Email queries to CatherineScully.Writer@gmail.com.
We accept two types of submissions: non-fiction articles and recommendations. Articles can be about anything related to the horror genre, the horror industry, horror writing, or the HWA. Keep your audience in mind. If in doubt about whether your topic is appropriate or not, you can query at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Word limit: 1000 words; 200 words for bio (total of 1200 words max).
1. No profanity.
2. No slander.
3. Spellcheck and copyedit for punctuation and grammar. We will reject a sloppy article.
4. No line indents. No tabs. Put a blank line between paragraphs.
5. Indicate links by putting the URL in parentheses after the text you want linked.
6. If you have images, please note that in your cover letter and we’ll contact you about them. Images should be no smaller than 500px wide. JPG format only. We will crop it. Images must NOT be copyrighted by anyone other than you.
7. HTML: If you know HTML and can appropriately format the article, please do, and submit it as a .txt file.
8. You receive no payment for your article or recommendation. It will stay live on the site until you ask us to take it down, until we decide to remove it, or until the site becomes defunct.
By submitting, you agree that the material submitted is your own work and that you have the right to let us publish it on the HWA website and blog.